Thursday, May 22, 2008

Reservations Preferred

Friends stopped over my house last night before we all went out to dinner. They were inspecting my newly renovated kitchen. “How come you invested all the money into this if you only make reservations for dinner?" one of the men asked.

The stale joke didn’t bring a smile to anyone’s face – not even my husband’s.

“Adds to resale value if we decide to move,” he answered.

I love my new kitchen. The granite counter tops, the glass top stove, a new double sink, and wooden cabinets – everything was designed to make cooking and cleaning easier than before. No more bending to get pots – deep pull out drawers instead of cabinets are a godsend. Slide them open and everything you need is in front of you. The original designer deserves a Congressional Medal of Honor. I no longer have to do deep knee bends to find my food processor and all the attachments. Even better, I don’t need my husband’s help to get up from the floor after I retrieve a pot from the rear of my old kitchen cabinets. It makes what little cooking I still do a pure delight.

Years ago, I overheard my son tell his friend, "My mother used to cook. Now that she works full time, she just makes supper."

He was apologizing for the store bought rotisserie chicken, pre-cut salad, and frozen vegetables I was serving them. After teaching the entire day, the last thing I had the energy to do was stand on my feet for another hour and prepare veal scaloppini or pepper steak. If I had my dream kitchen 25 years ago, would I have continued to cook after I returned to work? Nope. Tired is tired. There is a reason the stale joke about making reservations for dinner has survived for so many years. That’s what we tired women like to do!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OUTSTANDING AND TRUE UNTIL THE END OF TIME!!!! EDA HAS IT RIGHT.... ALWAYS!