Monday, May 26, 2008

Remote Anxieties

Just when I thought my new HDTV was becoming my friend, I accidentally sat down on top of the remote control. Nothing appeared broken, but when my husband attempted to turn on the television, all that appeared was “no signal.” He pressed all sorts of buttons, looked in the owners manual, but nothing helped.

We called the cable company, and a human eventually answered. She “walked” my husband through the steps to reset the remote. I watched, but even if my life depended on it, could not repeat his actions – and I’m not sure he could either.

I shared the story with my Mah Jongg group. “You’re not alone,” one of my friends said. “When my husband goes on his fishing trip next week, I’m going to have to come to your house to watch television. I still can’t get anything other than ‘no signal’ half the time.”

“When my TV breaks, I’m buying another analog,” another friend said.

We informed her that unless she gets one in a second-hand store, she won’t be able to find one. Then I reminded her that my major problem was not from the television. “It’s the cable company and all the extra gadgets that are driving me to gorge on chocolate.”

“I've a great idea,” she said to me. “Why don’t you write a book called, Remote Control for Dummies?”

It is a great idea – and when I come back in my next lifetime with a computer chip in my genes – I will definitely do it. But by then, the remote will probably be obsolete.

No comments: