Thursday, May 15, 2008

Once in a Lifetime

This morning I dialed my cable company, put my phone on speaker, and put my breakfast on the table. Experience has taught me I had more than enough time to finish before I would reach a human.

I pressed a number in response to the first question. Then I took a bite of my toast. “Good morning. This is Tasha. How may I be of service?”

My food went down the wrong pipe. I coughed incessantly. Then I heard a voice say, “Would you like me to call 911 for you?”

I took a sip of my coffee and was able to stop coughing long enough to gasp, “No.” Then I hung up.

After my voice returned, I redialed – with no food in my mouth. This time it took the usual eternity until I heard a human’s voice. Opportunity didn’t knock twice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

chuck has been saying that for years that salt air shrinks your clothes and i believe him