Wednesday, April 29, 2009

If the Shoe Doesn't Fit

Besides deciding what color to paint the wall, the other decisions that are causing me stress since we moved to Senior Paradise are what to wear when I meet the neighbors. I am one of those people that need to feel I “fit in” to the dress code of the evening. If everyone shows in kakis and Hubby and I are wearing jeans, I will feel ill at ease.

The other night, we were invited to attend a social event in the clubhouse of our complex. We opted for kaki casual. Shoes for Hubby were no problem, but for me it was a major clamity. Since the carton containing most of my casual shoes has not been unpacked, my choice was limited. I opted for a pair of backless, low heels that were in easy reach. I usually only wear them if I know I will be sitting all evening. As soon as I entered the room, my eyes fixated on the women’s shoes: stylish sandals with cushioned soles – not a pinched toe in the room.

I wobbled to my table, my armed locked in my husband’s for balance. While we watched the show, I felt relieved to finally be in a paradise where if the shoe doesn’t fit, I no longer have to wear it!

1 comment:

Christina Bledsoe said...

Aww Eda, you should always just be yourself and wear what you like and what makes you comfortable. If someone has a problem with that you don't need them.